Alessio Menconi is an Italian guitarist born in Genoa. A child prodigy, he taught himself guitar when he was ten years old and started his professional career with many Italian top musicians in 1986.
He is currently leading his trio and working on a solo project, recently releasing albums for both. He is the Jazz Guitar teacher at the Conservatorio di Musica Niccolò Paganini, Genoa. Alessio is one of the most important and requested guitar players in Italy and other European countries.
A selection among Alessio’s many awards and accomplishments include:
- "Best Soloist” in Gran Prix du Jazz in 1992.
- 1st Prize as the “Best Italian Guitarist” in the 1993 Eddie Lang Festival - the most important competition for guitarists in Italy.
- Extensive touring of Europe, Asia, Africa, North, Central and South America and recorded over 40 albums with various musicians.
- Performed with Paolo Conte on world tours and four albums 1995-2004.
- Requested by Billy Cobham to perform together in concerts series.
- Selected to perform with the "ONJ" (Orchestre National du Jazz) in Paris.
- Recorded for "Voodoo Crossing - A Tribute to Jimi Hendrix” as only Italian with guitar giants Robben Ford, Steve Lukather, Hiram Bullock, Larry Coryell, and many others in 2003.
- “Jazz Lighthouse” 2009 Career Award.
- Selected for World Best Jazz Guitarist cd compilation, 2011.
- “Jazz It” magazine placed his record “Sketches of Miles” in the best 100 jazz records of the world.
- Touring as an ambassador of Jazz at Italian Embassies and Italian Institutes of Culture in India, Zambia, South Africa, Ecuador, Brazil, Guatemala, Nicaragua, El Salvador, Japan, China, Hong Kong, Uruguay, Argentina and others.
Prominent festival performances:
Italy, Switzerland, France, UK, Spain, Austria, Greece, Macedonia, Russia, Belgium, Luxemburg, Holland, Germany, Poland, Croatia, South Africa, Zambia, Israel, Palestine, Nicaragua, Guatemala, El Salvador, Brazil, Ecuador,Uruguay, Argentina, India, China, Japan, Hong Kong, United States, and Canada.
Musicians he has performed with:
Paolo Conte, Billy Cobham, Jimmy Cobb, Jeff Berlin, Toninho Horta, Adrienne West, Shawnn Monteiro, Marcio Montarroyos, Stefano Bollani, Danny Gottlieb, Enrico Rava, Gene Bertoncini, Tullio De Piscopo, Daniel Humair, Albert "Tootie" Heath, Red Holloway, Franco Cerri, Gary Husband, Paolo Fresu, Carl Anderson, Franco Ambrosetti, Gary Bartz and many others…
“At last, an amp that is able to give me all the dynamics I need!" says Alessio. "It’s able to sound great even with the tone controls flat. You can change colours and frequencies as you like, but it's never invasive, it's always at the service of my sound. It's an amp that facilitates and exalts your own sound without changing it."
On December 18th, 2018 we'll have another Special Event at Mark World headquarters with the amazing Trio BOBO, feat. DV Mark artist ALESSIO MENCONI, Markbass artist FASO and CHRISTIAN MEYER.